Ten Major Facts About Football Legend: Diego MaradonaBy Toby Tunwase
A legend of the game, Diego Maradona, passed away on November 25, 2020, at 60. Several respects have poured in for the legendary player and man from all across the world, and we have also highlighted significant facts about this mercurial man.
- The Argentine international was born on October 30, 1960, in an area on the outskirts of Buenos Aires.
- On 16 occasions, he led Argentina as the captain, holding the record for the most captain appearances.
- In 1982, he won the league championship with Boca Juniors before tranferring Barcelona. After, in 1984, he made his way to Napoli.
- In World Cup tournaments, he holds 21 appearances.
- On October 20, 1976, Maradona made his professional debut for Argentinos Juniors at the age of 15.
- Argentina’s youth team won the 1979 Youth World Cup in Japan with Maradona.
- During the 1986 World Cup in Mexico, Diego Maradona suffered 53 fouls, which holds the record as the most fouls ever sustained in a world cup.
- Also, in the 1982 edition of the World Cup, he was fouled 23 times by the Italians, which is the record for fouls in a single match.
- In 1986, he led Argentina to World Cup glory, winning against West Germany.
- Argentine manager Carlos Bilardo said in 1990 when asked to name his XI: “Maradona and ten others.”